With one day left until Thanksgiving, we thought we'd share this great vegan stuffing substitute. If you try it, let us know!
Makes: 8-10 Servings
2 cups wheat berries
1⁄4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1⁄2 cup (about 3 oz.) finely chopped dried apricots
1⁄2 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tbsp. hemp hearts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1⁄4 cup roughly chopped mint
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. Bring wheat berries and 6 cups water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat.
2. Cook; stirring occasionally, until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute.
5. Add reserved wheat berries, along with apricots, pistachios, cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, and salt and pepper, and cook.
6. Stir until warmed through and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat; stir in mint, lemon zest and juice.