As fall is quickly approaching, these apple hemp muffins are the perfect snack to enjoy while taking a walk in the crisp air. We found this recipe from Dreena’s Plant-Powered Kitchen, and knew that we had to share it with you.
Makes: 12 large muffins
1 1⁄2 cups whole-grain spelt flour
1 cup oat flour
2/3 – 3/4 cup hemp seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 – 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp ground cardamom (can substitute freshly grated nutmeg)
1 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
3⁄4 cup plain or vanilla non-dairy milk
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup raisins or chopped raw banana spears (use kitchen shears or knife to cut in small pieces about size of raisins)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, sifting in the baking powder and baking soda. Stir through until well combined.
3. In another bowl, combine applesauce, maple syrup, non-dairy milk, and vanilla, and mix together.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and gently fold and mix through, until just combined (do not overmix).
5. Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners (this will fill 12 muffins quite full).
6. Bake for 21-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.